Find in Files not working
Sometimes in the last few releases, Find in Files quit working for me. It tries the search,. I see the progress bar, but it never finds any matches, even though there are a lot of them - which I can verify with another editor.
What am I missing?
Simple character string search, Normal mode, no options set.
Current version 6.9.1, but it’s been this way over the last few versions.
do you use the Filter “*.*”?
Are File-System-Rights given?
I’ve tried several filters, no difference:
File system permissions seem OK, no changes, and other editors can search with no problems.
do you do local searches or via network?
Can you give us an example what you are searching and
in which directory? Could it be that this is an file system redirection issue?
No find-in-file searches have worked for the last few versions, with a file and directory structure unchanged on the local disk in Win 7. This is a feature I use quite often. Unfortunately, I did not notice which version broke at the time.
find a simple word, let’s say ‘order’ (no quotes) in a folder with several SQL scripts.
Find what: order
Replace with: <blank>
No match options set
Search mode normal
It does the scan - I can tell by the file names flying by that it is in the right folder.
Result: zero files.
In contrast, I bring up another text editor (Crimson Editor, if it matters) that has find-in-files ability, and it finds all the expected matches.
Can you show us the debug info? (available under ? menu)
Certainly. Here it is.
For the 6.9.1 install, I took all defaults.
Build time : Mar 28 2016 - 19:48:40
Path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
Admin mode : ON
Local Conf mode : OFF
OS : Windows 7
Plugins : mimeTools.dll NppConverter.dll NppExport.dll NppFTP.dll PluginManager.dll SpellChecker.dll
Coud you give it a try to download a zipped npp?
Extract it where you want and do the same search which isn’t working.
If this works, give it a try to rename the notepad++ directory under %APPDATA% directory
and give it another try with the installed version of npp.
I tried the zipped version, no difference.
But, inspired by that I dea, I completely uninstalled the application using control panel, and re-installed 6.9.1 using the normal installer file.
Works great, so perhaps something in my registry got hosed.
Thanks for all the suggestion.
Thanks George, the re-installation option worked for me too! Now if they could fix the memory-leak (or similar) when you scroll too fast this would be brilliant!
Yes, uninstall and reinstall worked for me too. It’s pretty fast.
no need to uninstall and then reinstall
Find in files tab , check/select In all sub-folders