Set Notepad++ as default app in Windows 10
New to Win 10. could not change the default file extension of .txt file from Notepad to Notepad++.
appreciate step by step instructions.
Cannot get it to work via regular path, from within Notepad++ or through Windows System Setting default programs. I opened admin command prompt, started notepad++ from there and updated the file association setting. Then it worked.
forgot to mention:
Windows 1607 14393.576 64-bit
Notepad++ v7.3 64-bit
Gotta LOVE how windows tries to muscle out the competition!
Okay, here is a work around:
- Create a dummy file with the extension you wish to default to your program. The file can be empty.
- Right click on the dummy file and select Properties.
- On the General tab there is a section that states:
Type of file: <YOUR_SUFFIX>
Opens with <CURRENT_DEFAULT_PROGRAM> and a button that says <CHANGE>.
- Click Change.
- How do you want to open <YOUR_SUFFIX> files from now on? Choose <More apps>.
- Scroll to the bottom and select <Look for another app on this PC>
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++ and select <notepad++.exe> and select <OPEN>
- Close Properties and your done!
You’re a lifesaver! Thanks!
Another way to set Notepad++ as default app in Windows 10 is outlined in Trish Tech [source].
Basically, when you install Notepad++, go to Settings > Preferences > File Association, select Notepad. Then move the .txt and .log extensions to Registered extensions. Close the dialogue, close Notepad++. Right-click on any .txt file > Open with… > select Notepad++
Could be a bit easier for some people compared to the option Kent provided.