Set Notepad++ as default app in Windows 10
New to Win 10. could not change the default file extension of .txt file from Notepad to Notepad++.
appreciate step by step instructions.
Cannot get it to work via regular path, from within Notepad++ or through Windows System Setting default programs. I opened admin command prompt, started notepad++ from there and updated the file association setting. Then it worked.
forgot to mention:
Windows 1607 14393.576 64-bit
Notepad++ v7.3 64-bit
Gotta LOVE how windows tries to muscle out the competition!
Okay, here is a work around:
- Create a dummy file with the extension you wish to default to your program. The file can be empty.
- Right click on the dummy file and select Properties.
- On the General tab there is a section that states:
Type of file: <YOUR_SUFFIX>
Opens with <CURRENT_DEFAULT_PROGRAM> and a button that says <CHANGE>.
- Click Change.
- How do you want to open <YOUR_SUFFIX> files from now on? Choose <More apps>.
- Scroll to the bottom and select <Look for another app on this PC>
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++ and select <notepad++.exe> and select <OPEN>
- Close Properties and your done!
You’re a lifesaver! Thanks!
Another way to set Notepad++ as default app in Windows 10 is outlined in Trish Tech [source].
Basically, when you install Notepad++, go to Settings > Preferences > File Association, select Notepad. Then move the .txt and .log extensions to Registered extensions. Close the dialogue, close Notepad++. Right-click on any .txt file > Open with… > select Notepad++
Could be a bit easier for some people compared to the option Kent provided.
I had to install Notepad++ Fork from Windows 10 store:
to make all mentioned methods work:/
Standard version of Notepad++ was installed on my PC and it just seems to allows me to connect N++ to Windows :)
After installing it, restart PC. Then right click on the file and either chose default app as it was in previous Windows 8.1 or go to file properties and then Change.