'Replace All in All Open Documents' problem in 7.4.1
I’ve encountered a problem in 7.4.1.
If I open 12 text files (for example) and do a simple ‘Replace All in All Open Documents’ operation (for a text string that occurs only once per document), the status bar in the ‘Replace’ window displays “Replace in Opened Files: 12 occurrences replaced.” but not all occurrences have actually been replaced.
The number of files which have been modified seems to be random (and the document tab icons indicate which files they are).
A file seems more likely to have its find and replace operation be successful if I click on its tab first (but I don’t want to open many files and then have to click each tab individually before running a find and replace operation).
I’ve tried disabling Document Peeker (just in case it was somehow contributing to the problem, being that the tabs seem to be involved) but this made no difference.
I’ve never seen this problem before and I’ve had to revert to 7.3.3 where the above process works flawlessly every time.
Anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas?
This post is deleted!last edited by
I think I’ve found the culprit : Document Peeker.
Could you disable Document Peeker (uncheck it in MISC section of Preference Dialog) to make sure replace all in
files works again?
Do you mean ‘Document Peeker’? I had already tried disabling ‘Document Peeker’ to no avail. (I noted this in my first post above.) I’ve just tried again with the same results.
- Installed v7.4.1.
- Deselected both ‘Peek on tab’ and ‘Peek on document map’ - can still reproduce problem.
- Restarted Notepad++ with Document Peeker disabled - can still reproduce problem.
Not sure if this info will help but these are my findings.
Thanks for looking into the problem.
when document peeker settings are unchecked it seems to work fine for me.
I tried ~50 times to replace content in 15 open files and it always was replaced in all files
but as soon as I check the settings I do see the issue.
I guess I even found when it happens - as soon as a peek (?) has been displayed, the content of this
document doesn’t get replaced - looks like.
Thank you @Claudia-Frank , I have the same result.
@Steven-Speirs Could you give me a screenshot to show me how you disable Document Peeker ?
Here’s a screenshot: https://app.box.com/s/osnrj1i9ix2cqi530fobdboeuzns2up7
@Steven-Speirs Yes, I have experienced the same problem.
You have to restart Notepad++ after disable Document Peeker.
Please restart Notepad++ and check this settings to ensure it’s not active then test.
Pleas let me know the result of your test.
I’ve tried again this morning and disabling Document Peeker does seem to fix the problem.
I have no idea what I was doing last night when I thought the problem still existed (maybe searching for text that was not in all files). Sorry for the false alarm.
To reiterate: the problem does not exist when Document Peeker has been disabled.
@Steven-Speirs Thank you for your confirmation !
Quite strange, indeed ! Finally, I’m, exactly, in the same situation than Steven and I could have writen a similar post to the Steven's one :-)) But, certainly, in less fluent American-English !
So, presently, the features Replace All in All documents and Replace in Files properly work, when Document Peeker new feature is disabled, in N++ v7.4.1 :-))
Many thanks, @donho, for your feedback, about that matter !