Error in update DSPellCheck to 1.3.1
I am getting a new error when trying to update DSPellCheck from 1.3 to 1.3.1 via the plugin manager. This is in Notepad++ 7.5.1 on Windows 8.1 64-bit. Plugin manager 22.214.171.124.
The error dialog box: “It has not been possible to validate the integrity of ‘DSpellCheck.dll’ needed to install or update a plugin. Do you want to copy this file anyway (not recommended)?”
when plugin manager downloads the plugin it creates a hash value of this dll and tries
to compare it with the one configured by the author. If this fails, because plugin manager
wasn’t able to load the hash or hash value is incorrect etc. you will get this message.
Normally, you can ignore it but of course there is a chance, that the sourceforge website
was hacked and the dll which you want to load has been compromised.
So, it’s up to you do decide if you want to use the dll or not.
Thanks, I understand that there is a hash check. That is a good thing (for security, authenticating the software that was downloaded). But that just bumps the question along to the next step: why is there a hash mismatch? Given the functionality to do the check in the first place, the hash of the available software should be correct.
Otherwise, why bother checking the integrity of the software? “Wolf! Wolf! WOLF!!!”
I assume that the plugin developer either didn’t or wasn’t able to upload
the new hash to the plugin manager repository and if the update link points to
a generic filename then this kind of situation can happen very easily.
It is completely my fault, sorry. I should have checked the download after updating it on plugin manager. I noticed it only when plugin list already updated for users. Since then I already fixed that and actually even updated it to 1.3.2 but it takes time for update to appear for users sadly.
Plugin itself should technically be fine and it’s on GitHub, not sourceforge.
PS. Updating plugins for x64/x86 are now two totally different processes and it can a bit annoying so mistakes like this can show through :(
Thanks for the updates (>here<, with the clarification, and >there< with the new version 1.3.2). I updated to 1.3.2 as normal.
Also, thanks for making the useful plugin in the first place.
Interesting point about 32- vs. 64-bit plugins. I have been using 32-bit Notepad++ on my 64-bit system, a conservative approach, because I assume the availability and stability of 32-bit plugins is better than of 64-bit plugins.